Classification: Full-time employment; exempt from overtime
Reports To: Michelle Richard, Vice President
Summary: The Catamaran director will manage the Catamaran project, a statewide special education compliance and improvement system, for Public Sector Consultants. The director is responsible for guiding the system’s development and rollout.
- Develop timelines and establish deliverables with input from Public Sector Consultants (PSC) staff, subcontractors, and the client
- Manage PSC staff and subcontractors toward achieving timeline and deliverables
- Monitor status of timelines and deliverables and adjust as needed to ensure deadlines are met
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the client and work with PSC staff and subcontractors to quickly respond to any issues
- Identify opportunities to use the system to further support the client’s work
- Maintain strong relationships with client representatives and stakeholders
- Initiate analysis of the business process for new workflows to be developed in Catamaran
- Verify that the programmed system meets all technical requirements
- Oversee ongoing change management processes as new functions are introduced
- Manage the project budget
- Learn about the policy environment surrounding the system (including state and federal regulations related to special education)
- Develop a vision for the work in collaboration with PSC staff, subcontractors, and client
- Assist with development of the annual project scope in conjunction with PSC’s project sponsor and the client
Characteristics of High Performance
- Writes extremely well, using clear, compelling expression to translate program documents and/or complex policy issues into language all partners can understand
- Manages effective relationships with internal teams, external stakeholders, and vendors
- Manages a large and complex project effectively, including managing the scope of work, tracking budgets, supervising staff and subcontractors within and across projects, and completing project deliverables, as well as ensures proper allocation of resources, profitability, high-quality work, and client satisfaction
- Demonstrates initiative, creativity, and sound judgment when responding to requests, determining work approaches, presenting information, and resolving issues
- Listens to colleagues with the intent to learn and grow, giving suggestions and applying skills learned and sharing those skills with colleagues for personal growth
- Supervises and provides guidance to staff and contractors in meeting expectations
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent combination of work experience, education, and or certificates
- At least ten years of prior project management experience
- At least five years of prior experience managing a large technology project
- At least five years of prior experience managing both direct-reporting employees and project staff who work in other companies
- Familiarity with compliance, monitoring, and/or improvement systems in any sector
- Strongly preferred: experience as a business analyst technical lead, or systems architect
- Strongly preferred: current PMP certification
- Preferred but not required: familiarity in special education and/or general education policy
Work is primarily performed in an indoor, environmentally controlled office setting with extended periods (approximately eight hours or more a day) at a computer, on the telephone, sitting, or standing. The nature of the work has frequent interruptions, contact with the public and clients, and requires strong communication skills. While the employee may be required to work beyond normal working hours, PSC strives for staff to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
- Salary commensurate with education and experience
- Eligibility for annual company bonus
- Competitive medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance plans
- Company 401(k) contribution
- Paid sick and vacation leave granted upon start date
- Eleven paid holidays per year
- YMCA membership
- Parking pass for downtown Lansing or Smart Commute incentive
To Apply for this Position
Applications are being accepted through Hiring Solutions. Please use the “APPLY” button that follows this text. If you have questions about the position, please email: email@example.com.
Catamaran is the system used by the state to promote positive outcomes and ensure compliance with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) of 2004 and the Michigan Administrative Rules for Special Education. Catamaran was designed to help locals analyze and interpret data and keep track of all monitoring activities in a single location. Catamaran reflects the priorities of IDEA and the State Performance Plan and is aligned with the School Improvement Framework.
Public Sector Consultants is an objective, nonpartisan research and consulting firm. Our services have been used to advance innovative solutions to all kinds of difficult public policy challenges in Michigan and beyond. Offering a full suite of services in research, implementation, facilitation, and evaluation, PSC has helped hundreds of local, state, and federal government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and private businesses. Since our founding in 1979, PSC has built a reputation as the consulting firm of choice for anyone working to better people’s lives.
Why Join Our Team?
PSCers take great pride in the fact that we write well, think clearly, and can speak articulately (albeit sometimes a little too long) about all kinds of topics. We are scholars and athletes, number crunchers and poets, big thinkers and meticulous doers, fierce introverts and charismatic extroverts. While we all share an unwavering commitment to excellence, we also celebrate—and enjoy kidding each other about—our eccentricities. PSC is that rare place where you can be true to yourself and your passions while still working collectively toward an important and common goal—making a difference for our clients and the people we serve.
At PSC, we understand that we benefit from the sum of our individual differences, self-expression, and life experiences. Our clients also benefit from having access to different perspectives and a broad range of problem-solving approaches. We encourage openness and inclusivity, and invite any dedicated and hardworking person who commits to our mission, vision, and values to explore joining our team.
Want to know more? Hear from our staff why PSC is a great place to work here.
It is the policy of Public Sector Consultants to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Employees are selected based on ability or assessed potential to meet the needs of PSC and the specific job requirements as stated in the job description. In addition, PSC will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.