Classification: Full-time employment; exempt from overtime
Reports To: Rachel Kuntzsch, Senior Vice President
Summary: This individual is responsible for designing and leading economic impact/contribution analysis, high-level quantitative analysis; researching, analyzing, and writing reports and strategy documents related to local, state, and national policy issues; selling and managing projects; and more.
- Serve as the lead on economic impact/contribution projects, including scoping the work, designing the model and leading the analysis and report write-up. Experience with IMPLAN for economic impact/contribution analysis is highly desired, but not required.
- Use mathematical and statistical methods to investigate, analyze, and interpret data across content areas (talent and workforce development, energy and environment, and health). Experience with labor market and/or industry analysis desired.
- Conduct, translate, and analyze public policy research
- Manage multiple large and complex projects concurrently, including directing and managing scopes of work, collaborating with team members to complete project tasks, directing staff and subcontractors within and across projects, completing deliverables, and managing client expectations—resulting in high-quality project deliverables completed on time and on budget
- Cultivate new business by identifying project opportunities and prospective clients, meeting with prospects and clients, and writing proposals
- Resolve differences of opinion and forge consensus in and out of meeting rooms, in both formal and informal conversations with clients and in written reports and materials
Characteristics of High Performance
- Collaborates with staff and clients in a fast-paced office with diverse people and projects
- Demonstrates initiative, critical thinking, and creativity to generate ideas for research questions, work approaches, presentation of information, and issue resolution
- Performs tasks and assignments in a timely and consistent manner with high accuracy and attention to detail
- Manages workload effectively while engaged in multiple projects concurrently
- A bachelor’s degree in economics, finance, statistics, public policy, or a related quantitative field is required; a master’s degree in economics, finance, statistics, public policy, or another relevant field is preferred
- A minimum of five years of relevant work experience is required
- Advanced-level competency with economic impact analysis (using IMPLAN, REMI, or building models with multipliers) and data visualization (using tools such as Tableau)
- Advanced-level competency with Excel and significant experience with a statistical software such as SPSS, Stata, SAS, or other technology (primarily producing frequency reports, basic analysis, and regression analysis)
- Skills in survey development and analysis or labor market analysis highly preferred but not required
- Strong research and writing skills, with the ability to accurately interpret data and write concisely
- Demonstrated experience performing comparable duties
Work is primarily performed in an indoor, environmentally controlled office setting with extended periods (approximately eight hours or more a day) at a computer, on the telephone, sitting, or standing. The nature of the work has frequent interruptions, contact with the public and clients, performance of repetitive tasks, and requires strong communication skills. While the employee may be required to work beyond normal working hours, Public Sector Consultants (PSC) strives for staff to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
- Salary commensurate with education and experience
- Eligibility for annual company bonus
- Competitive medical, dental, life, and disability insurance plans
- Company 401(k) contribution
- Paid sick and vacation leave granted upon start date
- Eleven paid holidays per year
- YMCA membership
- Parking pass for downtown Lansing or Smart Commute incentive
To Apply for this Position
Submit a cover letter—including salary requirements—resume, and writing sample by clicking on “APPLY” below. All materials must be submitted as PDF or Word documents. Applications must be submitted by Sunday, June 2, 2019. If you have trouble with the upload page or have questions about the position, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Firm
Public Sector Consultants is an objective, nonpartisan research and consulting firm. Our services have been used to advance innovative solutions to all kinds of difficult public policy challenges in Michigan and beyond. Offering a full suite of services in research, implementation, facilitation, and evaluation, PSC has helped hundreds of local, state, and federal government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and private businesses. Since our founding in 1979, PSC has built a reputation as the consulting firm of choice for anyone working to better people’s lives.
Why Join Our Team?
PSCers take great pride in the fact that we write well, think clearly, and can speak articulately (albeit sometimes a little too long) about all kinds of topics. We are scholars and athletes, number crunchers and poets, big thinkers and meticulous doers, fierce introverts and charismatic extroverts. While we all share an unwavering commitment to excellence, we also celebrate—and enjoy kidding each other about—our eccentricities. PSC is that rare place where you can be true to yourself and your passions while still working collectively toward an important and common goal—making a difference for our clients and the people we serve.
At PSC, we understand that we benefit from the sum of our individual differences, self-expression, and life experiences. Our clients also benefit from having access to different perspectives and a broad range of problem-solving approaches. We encourage openness and inclusivity, and invite any dedicated and hardworking person who commits to our mission, vision, and values to explore joining our team.
Want to know more? Hear from our staff why PSC is a great place to work.
It is the policy of Public Sector Consultants to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Employees are selected based on ability or assessed potential to meet the needs of PSC and the specific job requirements as stated in the job description. In addition, PSC will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.