Classification: Full-time employment; exempt from overtime
Reports To: Production Manager
Summary: An editor is responsible for championing the firm’s writing standards in written and digital material—in concert with other production staff—to ensure all content reflects the firm’s commitment to quality, professionalism, and objectivity.
- Adhere to and champion Public Sector Consultants’ (PSC’s) quality assurance processes by using production resources effectively and working collaboratively and efficiently with production staff
- Ensure the firm’s products are well written, accurate, properly cited, objective, concise, and focused
- Collaborate with authors effectively to ensure content is understandable for intended audience(s)
- Work with production staff efficiently to ensure timely, high-quality deliverables
- Support colleagues with preparing documents and offering constructive feedback
- Communicate effectively with employees across the firm regarding the preparation of PSC reports, publications, and other deliverables
- Create and administer writing workshops to staff, both individually and in large groups
- Understand and serve as an ambassador for PSC’s voice, tone, and brand, carrying these elements through documents (where appropriate)
- Mentor employees on PSC’s writing standards and offer techniques for development, providing recommendations and strategies for improving the quality of PSC reports, publications, and other deliverables
- Adhere to and update the PSC Style Guide
Characteristics of High Performance
- Assumes responsibility for assigned tasks and performs duties utilizing independent judgment and sound decision-making skills to ensure high-quality project deliverables that meet or exceed the firm’s expectations
- Performs tasks and assignments in a timely and consistent manner with high accuracy and attention to detail, seeking clarification when appropriate
- Executes all levels of editing regularly (i.e., line, content, and developmental) with efficiency and depth
- Effectively manages more than one project deliverable at a time
- Listens to colleagues with the intent to learn and grow, applying skills and suggestions learned from peers and supervisors and sharing those skills with colleagues for personal growth
A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in a related field such as English, journalism, communications, creative writing, or professional writing. A minimum of five years of professional editing and/or copywriting experience is required, as well as the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ability to communicate superbly—both verbally and in writing—to clients and employees
- Ability to identify inconsistencies
- Ability to deal competently with several tasks at once and complete tasks in a timely, professional manner
- Ability to work cooperatively with employees at all levels of the organization
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat, particularly the use of track changes and comment/reviewing features
- Thorough knowledge of integrated email and calendaring systems (e.g., Outlook, Google Mail/Google Calendar)
- Thorough knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style and working knowledge of AP Style
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Work is primarily performed in an indoor, environmentally controlled office setting with extended periods (approximately eight hours or more a day) at a computer, on the telephone, sitting, or standing. The nature of the work has frequent interruptions, contact with the public and clients, and performance of repetitive tasks, and requires strong communication skills. While the employee may be required to work beyond normal working hours, PSC strives for staff to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
- Salary commensurate with education and experience
- Eligibility for annual company bonus
- Competitive medical, dental, life, and disability insurance plans
- Company 401(k) contribution
- Paid sick and vacation leave granted upon start date
- Eleven paid holidays per year
- YMCA membership
- Parking pass for downtown Lansing or Smart Commute incentive
To Apply for this Position
Submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample by clicking on “APPLY” below. All materials must be submitted as PDF or Word documents. Applications must be submitted by Sunday, June 16, 2019. If you have trouble with the upload page or have questions about the position, please email: email@example.com.
About the Firm
Public Sector Consultants is an objective, nonpartisan research and consulting firm. Our services have been used to advance innovative solutions to all kinds of difficult public policy challenges in Michigan and beyond. Offering a full suite of services in research, implementation, facilitation, and evaluation, PSC has helped hundreds of local, state, and federal government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and private businesses. Since our founding in 1979, PSC has built a reputation as the consulting firm of choice for anyone working to better people’s lives.
Why Join Our Team?
PSCers take great pride in the fact that we write well, think clearly, and can speak articulately (albeit sometimes a little too long) about all kinds of topics. We are scholars and athletes, number crunchers and poets, big thinkers and meticulous doers, fierce introverts and charismatic extroverts. While we all share an unwavering commitment to excellence, we also celebrate—and enjoy kidding each other about—our eccentricities. PSC is that rare place where you can be true to yourself and your passions while still working collectively toward an important and common goal—making a difference for our clients and the people we serve.
At PSC, we understand that we benefit from the sum of our individual differences, self-expression, and life experiences. Our clients also benefit from having access to different perspectives and a broad range of problem-solving approaches. We encourage openness and inclusivity, and invite any dedicated and hardworking person who commits to our mission, vision, and values to explore joining our team.
Want to know more? Hear from our staff why PSC is a great place to work.
It is the policy of Public Sector Consultants to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Employees are selected based on ability or assessed potential to meet the needs of PSC and the specific job requirements as stated in the job description. In addition, PSC will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.