Classification: Full-time employment; exempt from overtime
Reports To: Vice President
Summary: The director of marketing and communications develops and implements marketing and communications strategies for the firm and its clients; manages complex, large-scale projects and events; supervises and mentors staff; creates and executes support materials and services for marketing and communications; and more.
- Provide strategic marketing and communications support across a range of topics for internal and external clients
- Provide creative and art direction to complement complex and/or technical content and messaging
- Develop digital strategies to achieve maximum reach for online content
- Assist with sales by effectively communicating the value of proposed services
- Direct website development efforts and prepare or manage complementary visual and written content
- Develop content for speeches and coach the delivery of content
- Manage complex, large-scale events
- Direct video projects from concept to completion, including managing staff
- Shoot and edit video footage or create a vision for and direct videographers in achieving this vision for clients
- Manage multiple large projects concurrently, including overseeing the scope of work, the team, and the client to ensure a high-quality project that is completed on time and on budget
- Supervise, mentor, and guide colleagues to help them meet their performance expectations, and share knowledge about areas of expertise and the work of the firm
Characteristics of High Performance
- Collaborates with staff and clients in a fast-paced office with diverse people and projects
- Assumes responsibility for and demonstrates initiative and creativity to generate ideas for marketing and communications strategies, work approaches, presentation of information, and issue resolution
- Possesses exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Performs tasks and assignments in a timely and consistent manner with high accuracy and attention to detail
- Manages workload effectively while engaged in multiple projects concurrently
- Understands what constitutes high-quality work (strategy and material design, research, writing) and reviews colleagues’ work with a critical and constructive eye
- Demonstrates leadership and management skills
- Is well respected in the marketing and communications field, bringing a strong network and proven ability to cultivate new and existing relationships across industries
- Seeks to be recognized as an expert in their field, providing leadership in a specialized policy, program, or methodology area, helping to advance the firm as a technical and/or innovation leader
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in marketing, communications, journalism, or advertising; master’s degree preferred
- Ten years of related work experience
- Experience managing a marketing and/or communications team
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Knowledge of and interest in art and creative direction, including Web development and videography
- Strong competency using the Microsoft Office suite, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel; experience with other software (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite, HTML email services) is desirable, but not required
Work is primarily performed in an indoor, environmentally controlled office setting with extended periods (approximately eight hours or more a day) at a computer, on the telephone, sitting, or standing. The nature of the work has frequent interruptions and requires contact with the public and clients, performance of repetitive tasks, and strong communication skills. While the employee may be required to work beyond normal working hours, Public Sector Consultants (PSC) strives for staff to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
- Salary commensurate with education and experience
- Eligibility for annual company bonus
- Competitive medical, dental, life, disability, voluntary vision, and voluntary legal insurance plans
- Company 401(k) contribution
- Paid sick and vacation leave granted upon start date
- Eleven paid holidays per year
- YMCA membership
- Parking pass for downtown Lansing or Smart Commute incentive
To Apply for this Position
Submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample by clicking on “Apply” below. All materials must be submitted as PDF or Word documents. Applications must be submitted by Monday, November 4, 2019.
If you have trouble with the upload page or have questions about the position, please email: email@example.com.
About the Firm
PSC is an objective, nonpartisan research and consulting firm. Our services have been used to advance innovative solutions to all kinds of difficult public policy challenges in Michigan and beyond. Offering a full suite of services in research, implementation, facilitation, and evaluation, PSC has helped hundreds of local, state, and federal government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and private businesses. Since our founding in 1979, PSC has built a reputation as the consulting firm of choice for anyone working to better people’s lives.
Why join our team?
PSCers take great pride in the fact that we write well, think clearly, and can speak articulately (albeit sometimes a little too long) about all kinds of topics. We are scholars and athletes, number crunchers and poets, big thinkers and meticulous doers, fierce introverts and charismatic extroverts. While we all share an unwavering commitment to excellence, we also celebrate—and enjoy kidding each other about—our eccentricities. PSC is that rare place where you can be true to yourself and your passions while still working collectively toward an important and common goal—making a difference for our clients and the people we serve.
At PSC, we understand that we benefit from the sum of our individual differences, self-expression, and life experiences. Our clients also benefit from having access to different perspectives and a broad range of problem-solving approaches. We encourage openness and inclusivity, and invite any dedicated and hardworking person who commits to our mission, vision, and values to explore joining our team.
Want to know more? Hear from our staff why PSC is a great place to work.
It is the policy of Public Sector Consultants to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Employees are selected based on ability or assessed potential to meet the needs of PSC and the specific job requirements as stated in the job description. In addition, PSC will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.