Classification: Full‐time employment; exempt from overtime
Reports to: Director—Katie VanDorn
Summary: The consultant conducts research for Public Sector Consultants (PSC) and its clients; assists in developing proposals; writes reports related to the evaluation of local, state, and national policies and programs; and more.
- Conducts, translates, and analyzes public policy research, primarily in content areas related to health and human services
- Develops research reports, strategy documents, grant applications, and other client deliverables
- Supports and conducts the planning and facilitation of meetings, focus groups, and events
- Contributes to cultivating new business by writing proposals and helping to identify project opportunities and prospective clients
- Supports project management by maintaining timelines, managing assigned tasks, and collaborating with team members to ensure high‐quality project deliverables that are completed on time and on budget
Characteristics of High Performance
- Collaborates with staff and clients in a fast‐paced environment with diverse people and projects
- Demonstrates initiative, creativity, and sound judgment to generate ideas for research questions, work approaches, presentation of information, and issue resolution
- Possesses strong verbal and written communication skills
- Performs tasks and assignments in a timely and consistent manner with high accuracy and attention to detail
- Manages workload effectively while engaged in multiple projects
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in a field related to health, health management, or public policy; a master’s degree or at least four years of relevant experience preferred
- Strong research and writing skills with the ability to accurately interpret data and write concisely
- Demonstrated experience performing comparable duties
- Knowledge of and interest in health and health management and/or related public policy topics
- Strong competency using the Microsoft Office suite, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel; experience with other software (e.g., Tableau, SPSS, R, IMPLAN, REMI, etc.) is desirable but not required
Public Sector Consultants has a flexible work location policy that allows employees the ability to work from a location that best meets their personal needs while also balancing the needs of the firm. Work is primarily performed indoors, with extended periods (approximately eight hours or more a day) at a computer or on the telephone. The nature of the work has frequent interruptions and requires contact with the public and clients, performance of repetitive tasks, and strong communication skills. While the employee may be required to work beyond traditional business hours, PSC strives for staff to maintain a healthy work‐life balance.
- Salary commensurate with education and experience
- Eligibility for company profit share
- Competitive medical, dental, life, disability, voluntary vision, and voluntary legal insurance plans
- Company 401(k) contribution
- Paid time off granted upon start date
- Eleven paid holidays per year
- YMCA membership
- Parking pass for downtown Lansing
Public Sector Consultants is a certified Women‐owned Small Business and a Women’s Business Enterprise, and we are committed to creating a space for all voices to be heard and understood. We have served hundreds of government agencies, nonprofits, associations, and regulated industries in our more than 40‐year history. We take pride in our role as an independent, nonpartisan public policy consulting firm that is trusted, respected, and engaged in our community. We don’t just follow best practice, we create it.
PSC strives for excellence in relationships with both clients and colleagues and was recognized as one of the Detroit Free Press Top Workplaces in 2020 and 2021, as well as a 2021 winner of Crain’s Business Detroit Cool Places to Work contest. Since our founding in 1979, PSC has built a reputation as the consulting firm of choice for anyone working to better people’s lives.
Our mission is to improve the quality of life for residents of Michigan and beyond through the development and implementation of innovative, actionable public policies.
Why Join Our Team?
We know that employees want more than a job — they want to be part of a community. We offer opportunities to take on meaningful work, get involved in the community, grow professionally, and learn from a diverse network of colleagues. Your time and talent make a difference beyond the office and extend into the community around you. For us, culture is a way of being, bringing our whole selves to work, and showing up for our colleagues — many of whom we call friends. We’re more than the work we do, and we’ve all got social, emotional, and physical lives that flourish with a healthy work‐life balance. At PSC, we understand that we benefit from the sum of our individual differences, self‐expression, and life experiences. Our clients also benefit from having access to different perspectives and a broad range of problem‐solving approaches. It’s that rare place where you can be true to yourself and your passions while still working collectively toward an important and common goal — making a difference for our clients and the people we serve. We foster openness and inclusivity, share triumphs, and cultivate lessons learned. The deep care and dedication we have for each other and our communities shines through in our unique personalities and commitment to a job well done. Want to know more? Learn about why PSC is a great place to work.
It is the policy of PSC to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Employees are selected based on ability or assessed potential to meet the needs of PSC and the specific job requirements as stated in the job description. In addition, PSC will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Submit a cover letter and resume. All materials must be submitted as PDF or Word documents. Applications must be submitted by Sunday, August 28, 2022. If you have trouble with the upload page or have questions about the position, please email: [email protected].