PSC is currently seeking applicants for the following position: Editor
Full‐time employment; exempt from overtime (administrative exemption)
Job Summary: The editor for Public Sector Consultants (PSC) is responsible for editing and maintenance of the firm’s writing standards through consistency in reports, collateral material, and digital media. This position’s primary role is to assist the supervising editor in ensuring that all written material that leaves the office reflects the firm’s commitment to professional writing and objectivity in public policy and program management. In addition to ensuring high‐quality rhetoric, this position is responsible for creating content for promotional and marketing materials. Editing is also responsible for the mentorship and development of staff members’ writing. The editor is expected to be an expert — even stickler — in matters of writing and a high functioning, collaborative team member.
Essential Duties and Requirements of the Job (listed in order of importance):
- Ensure that the firm’s products are well written, accurate, properly researched, objective, concise, and focused.
- Manage the refinement of a house style guide.
- Mentor new staff as to the writing standards of the firm.
- Collaborate with authors to ensure that report content is understandable to intended audience(s).
- Review reports and publications for accuracy and integrity of citations and exhibits.
- Work closely with design staff on formatting and layout.
- Edit Web content for firm and client websites.
Skills Required to Perform the Essential Duties of the Job:
- Ability to communicate effectively — both verbally and in writing — to clients and employees.
- Ability to deal competently with a number of tasks at one time, and to complete tasks in a timely and professional manner.
- Ability to work cooperatively with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat, including the use of track changes and comment/reviewing features.
- Thorough knowledge of integrated e‑mail and calendaring systems (e.g., Outlook, Google Mail/Google Calendar)
Education and Experience Requirements Needed to Perform the Duties of the Job:
Bachelor’s degree required (a related field such as English, Journalism, Communications, Creative Writing, Professional Writing preferred). Minimum of one year of professional editing experience required.
Physical Abilities to Perform the Essential Duties of the Job:
- Ability to sit for long periods of time, spend varying amounts of time in front of a computer screen, and move about office areas as required.
- Visual and hearing abilities, as well as manual dexterity, to operate a computer, copier, printer, phone, and various other office equipment.
$38,000 – $42,000, commensurate with education and experience, with full benefits offered to all PSC staff (e.g., health insurance, 401k, and paid sick and vacation time).
To apply for this position:
Send a cover letter, resume, and three references by e‑mail to: email@example.com by September 23, 2015.
PSC provides equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, sex, age, or other status protected by law. Employees are selected based on ability or assessed potential to meet the specific job requirements as stated in the job description as well as the needs of PSC.