Classification: Full‐time employment; exempt from overtime
Reports To: Catamaran Senior Project Manager
Summary: The project manager works closely with their supervisory senior project manager and other colleagues in support of Catamaran — a large, streamlined system for regulatory compliance management for the Michigan Department of Education’s Office of Special Education (OSE). Project managers assigned to Catamaran serve as assistant project managers for their assigned OSE unit(s), becoming fluent in the specific work performed by the units under the guidance of the senior project managers they are assisting. The project manager assists in project administrative tasks to keep projects on schedule for high‐quality delivery; they also support the development of project‐specific designs, training materials, and other materials for a successful project launch.
- Assists in creating project scope and schedule and follow‐on administrative tasks
- Supports project status and working meetings by creating agendas, taking/distributing notes, and performing other project administrative tasks
- Assists in identifying and managing project risks and issues, participating in solutions as needed
- Supports state and federal requirement monitoring, manages client expectations and stakeholder communications, and implements an effective project governance system
- Creates regular internal and external project status reports for staff, clients, and subcontracting partners
- Provides administrative support for managing subcontracting partner participation on assigned projects
- Documents process workflows, requirements, system/feature designs, and test plans under the guidance of the senior project manager
- Supports a well‐defined project management process and ongoing process improvement initiatives
- Develops subject matter expertise under the guidance of the senior project manager
Characteristics of High Performance
- Collaborates with staff and clients in a fast‐paced environment with diverse people, perspectives, and projects
- Demonstrates initiative, critical thinking, and creativity to generate ideas for research questions, work approaches, presentation of information, and issue resolution. Can work independently and with minimal supervision
- Performs tasks and assignments in a timely and consistent manner with high accuracy and attention to detail
- Manages workload effectively while engaged in multiple concurrent projects
- A bachelor’s degree and one or more years of work experience or five or more years of relevant work experience
- Strong ability to gather and translate client requirements into effective solutions
- Passion for problem‐solving with technology
- Basic knowledge of project management methodology and/or software lifecycle concepts preferred
- Basic understanding of and/or experience with workflow diagramming software, such as Visio; project management software or tools; and relational databases and/or data sets
- Experience working in a collaborative, project‐driven environment
Public Sector Consultants is primarily an office‐based work setting with a flexible work location policy depending on the nature of the role. This role is Michigan based, with an expectation that the employee start off in the office a minimum of three days per week for employee onboarding and team relationship building. A dedicated office is provided for employees working from PSC’s building at least three days per week, and a docking station is provided to employees who are primarily remote. All employees are expected to be periodically present in person to engage in team, staff, and client meetings as appropriate.
- Salary commensurate with education and experience
- Eligibility for company profit share
- Competitive medical, dental, life, disability, voluntary vision, and voluntary legal insurance plans
- Company 401(k) contribution
- Paid time off granted upon start date
- Eleven paid holidays per year
- YMCA membership
Catamaran is a cloud‐based application developed over the last 16 years by Public Sector Consultants in partnership with the Michigan Department of Education Office of Special Education. Catamaran makes state and federal activities and reporting requirements easier and more useful to special education leaders and professionals throughout the state. For more information about Catamaran, visit https://training.catamaran.partners/.
Public Sector Consultants is a certified Women‐owned Small Business and a Women’s Business Enterprise, and we are committed to creating a space for all voices to be heard and understood. We have served hundreds of government agencies, nonprofits, associations, and regulated industries in our more than 40‐year history. We take pride in our role as an independent, nonpartisan public policy consulting firm that is trusted, respected, and engaged in our community. We don’t just follow best practice, we create it.
PSC strives for excellence in relationships with both clients and colleagues and was recognized as one of the Detroit Free Press Top Workplaces in 2020 and 2021, as well as a 2021 winner of Crain’s Business Detroit Cool Places to Work contest. Since our founding in 1979, PSC has built a reputation as the consulting firm of choice for anyone working to better people’s lives.
Our mission is to improve the quality of life for residents of Michigan and beyond through the development and implementation of innovative, actionable public policies.
Applications must be submitted by Sunday, December 18, 2022.