Classification: Full‐time employment; exempt from overtime
Reports To: Vice President
Summary: The senior consultant is responsible for researching, analyzing, and writing reports and strategy documents related to local, state, and national policy issues; planning and facilitating meetings; selling and managing projects; and more.
- Conducts, translates, and analyzes public policy research, primarily in content areas related to health and human services
- Develops research reports, strategy documents, grant applications, and other client deliverables
- Plans and facilitates meetings, focus groups, and events
- Cultivates new business by identifying project opportunities and prospective clients, meeting with prospects and clients, and writing proposals
- Manages multiple projects concurrently — including directing the scope of work, collaborating with team members to complete project tasks, and managing client expectations — to ensure high‐quality project deliverables are completed on time and on budget
Characteristics of High Performance
- Collaborates with staff and clients in a fast‐paced environment with diverse people, perspectives, and projects
- Demonstrates initiative, critical thinking, and creativity to generate ideas for research questions, work approaches, presentation of information, and issue resolution
- Performs tasks and assignments in a timely and consistent manner with high accuracy and attention to detail
- Manages workload effectively while engaged in multiple concurrent projects
- A bachelor’s degree in a field related to health, health management, or public policy; a master’s degree preferred
- A minimum of six years of relevant work experience performing comparable duties — including project management — is required
- Strong research and writing skills with the ability to accurately interpret data and write concisely
- Demonstrated experience performing comparable duties
- Knowledge of and interest in health and health management and/or related public policy topics
- Strong competency using the Microsoft Office suite, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel; experience with other software (e.g., Tableau, SPSS, R, IMPLAN, REMI, etc.) is desirable but not required
Public Sector Consultants has a flexible work location policy that allows employees the ability to work from a location that best meets their personal needs while also balancing the needs of the firm. Work is primarily performed indoors, with extended periods (approximately eight hours or more a day) at a computer or on the telephone. The nature of the work has frequent interruptions and requires contact with the public and clients, performance of repetitive tasks, and strong communication skills. While the employee may be required to work beyond traditional business hours, PSC strives for staff to maintain a healthy work‐life balance.
- Salary commensurate with education and experience
- Eligibility for company profit share
- Competitive medical, dental, life, disability, voluntary vision, and voluntary legal insurance plans
- Company 401(k) contribution
- Paid time off granted upon start date
- Eleven paid holidays per year
- YMCA membership
PSC is an objective, nonpartisan research and consulting firm. Our services have been used to advance innovative solutions to all kinds of difficult public policy challenges in Michigan and beyond. Offering a full suite of services in research, implementation, facilitation, and evaluation, PSC has helped hundreds of local, state, and federal government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and private businesses. PSC strives for excellence in relationships with both clients and colleagues. These efforts have resulted in PSC receiving numerous awards; the most recent include being recognized as one of the Detroit Free Press Top Workplaces in 2020 and 2021 , one of Crain’s Detroit Business Cool Places to Work in 2021, and receiving the 2021 Outstanding Small Business Award from the Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce. Since our founding in 1979, PSC has built a reputation as the consulting firm of choice for anyone working to better people’s lives.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample. All materials must be submitted as PDF or Word documents. Applications must be submitted by Sunday, January 2, 2022. If you have trouble with the upload page or have questions about the position, please email: [email protected].