June 17, 2023
exempt from overtime
The vice president of people and culture champions the firm’s culture and values as an integral member of PSC’s leadership team; leads human resources (HR), talent recruitment, training and development, and diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts (DEI); supervises and mentors staff; oversees the development of corporate policies, procedures, and systems; and maintains confidential and sensitive information on behalf of the firm.
Leadership and Strategy
- Serves on PSC’s leadership team, demonstrating a long-term commitment to the firm’s values and mission by engaging in decision making that considers implications for all staff and the firm
- Communicates leadership decisions accurately and with appropriate level of care and confidentiality
- Leads the firm’s administration function, including HR, office management, talent acquisition and development, and workplace culture strategies
- Manages staff, providing timely feedback and fostering a collaborative environment of continuous learning consistent with the needs of the firm, team, and individuals
- Drives development and implementation of a comprehensive DEI strategy and builds DEI competencies throughout the firm
- Contributes to the development and implementation of a firmwide compensation and benefits strategy
- Influences organizational decision making with the use of relevant, value-added metrics and data
- Leads the firm’s HR functions, including maintaining HR policies and procedures, engaging with vendors, communicating with prospective employees, and supporting staff needs in collaboration with managers
- Collaborates with firm leaders to proactively forecast talent needs and lead new employee recruitment and onboarding
- Directs the administration of a performance management system, monitoring the quality of assessments and processes and providing coaching to support effective dialogues
- Works with firm leaders to identify gaps in competency, knowledge, and skillsets and implements staff coaching, training, and development solutions
- Assesses coaching and leadership development needs and partners with members of the firm’s leadership team to bolster the leadership skills of managers and supervisors
- Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local employment laws
- Partners with firm leaders to enhance a positive, engaged work culture that integrates the interests, talents, and contributions of all employees and reinforces behaviors that exemplify company values
- Fosters a culture consistent with the firm’s values of operating with integrity, leading with trust, embracing diverse perspectives and experiences, prioritizing authentic relationships, and demonstrating respect and kindness
- Facilitates the development and implementation of strategies that promote a welcoming, inclusive, and enjoyable work environment
- Maintains a pulse on staff morale, addressing concerns to support employee engagement, wellness, and retention
- Guides the design and implementation of firmwide systems and processes consistent with the needs of the firm and staff
- Bachelor’s degree in business, HR, or a related field; master’s degree in business or HR preferred
- A minimum of ten years of experience in HR, including leadership and people management
- Prior success in creating and leading initiatives that attract, develop, and retain talent
- Proven success in designing and implementing diversity-enhancing programs and practices
- Experience implementing HR policies and procedures and performance management systems and overseeing the administration of compensation/benefits and employee relations
- $119,660–$179,014 commensurate with education and experience
- Eligibility for company profit share
- Competitive medical, dental, life, disability, voluntary vision, and voluntary legal insurance plans
- Company 401(k) contribution
- Paid time off granted upon start date
- Eleven paid holidays per year
- Paid parking
Expectations for All PSCers
- Collaborates and communicates well with staff and clients in a fast-paced environment with diverse people and projects, fostering a supportive, creative working environment for all PSC colleagues
- Demonstrates initiative, critical thinking, and sound judgment to generate ideas, work approaches, presentation of information, and issue resolution
- Manages workload effectively while engaged in multiple projects concurrently with high accuracy and attention to detail, seeking clarification when appropriate
- Adheres to PSC’s quality assurance processes
- Seeks areas of personal growth and identifies steps toward success, including mentorship, ongoing learning, and professional development opportunities
- Is occasionally available beyond regular work hours as necessary to respond to staff and firm needs
New employees will work in the office a minimum of three days per week for employee onboarding and team relationship building. Work is primarily performed indoors, with extended periods at a computer or on the telephone. The nature of the work involves multitasking, completing repetitive tasks, and having contact with the public and clients.
Why Join Our Team?
We know that employees want more than a job—they want to be part of a community. We offer opportunities to take on meaningful work, get involved in the community, grow professionally, and to learn from a diverse network of colleagues. Your time and talent make a difference beyond the office and extend into the community around you. For us, culture is a way of being, bringing our whole selves to work, and showing up for our colleagues—many of whom we call friends. We’re more than the work we do, and we’ve all got social, emotional, and physical lives that flourish with a healthy work‐life balance. At PSC, we understand that we benefit from the sum of our individual differences, self-expression, and life experiences. Our clients also benefit from having access to different perspectives and a broad range of problem-solving approaches. It’s that rare place where you can be true to yourself and your passions while still working collectively toward an important and common goal—making a difference for our clients and the people we serve. We foster openness and inclusivity, share triumphs, and cultivate lessons learned. The deep care and dedication we have for each other and our communities shine through in our unique personalities and commitment to a job well done. Want to know more? Learn about why PSC is a great place to work.
Public Sector Consultants is a certified Women‐owned Small Business and a Women’s Business Enterprise, and we are committed to creating a space for all voices to be heard and understood. We have served hundreds of government agencies, nonprofits, associations, and regulated industries in our more than 40‐year history. We take pride in our role as an independent, nonpartisan public policy consulting firm that is trusted, respected, and engaged in our community. We don’t just follow best practice, we create it. PSC strives for excellence in relationships with both clients and colleagues and was recognized as one of the Detroit Free Press Top Workplaces in 2020 and 2021, as well as a 2021 winner of Crain’s Business Detroit Cool Places to Work contest. Since our founding in 1979, PSC has built a reputation as the consulting firm of choice for anyone working to better people’s lives.
Our mission is to improve the quality of life for residents of Michigan and beyond through the development and implementation of innovative, actionable public policies.